Thursday, August 22, 2013

Everyone Complains but Nobody Does Anything

Confession time. I love to talk about the weather. And not just when there's nothing else to talk about. I listen to people complain "I don't understand why it's so hot (or cold) (or rainy) (or dry)." Well I do understand. I listen to forecasters talk about fronts and cells and air flow, and I soak it all in. I love watching storm footage, radar coverage, 3-D Doeppler images with color and jagged lightning graphics and all that cool stuff.

But I don't usually share my font of weather knowledge with others because I've learned something. People don't care. No really, they don't. People would rather complain to other people and then shake their heads and say, "Well, that's Michigan for ya." When I do try to insert my weather knowledge into the conversation, I have their attention for an average of 37 seconds before their eyes glaze over and they start nodding and saying "uh huh."

Kind of like when a writer talks characterization with a non-writer. Or when a baseball fan starts talking about batting averages. Or when a cook discusses the benefits and drawbacks of cooking with cilantro.

What makes your eyes glaze over? Let's start a lively discussion. No glazed eyes allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?